Further your career and become a future leader in health care
Bachelor of Science - Health Services Administration (120 credits)
Learn how the business side of health care operates and how you can succeed in a number of health care settings. As one of only three schools in Michigan certified by the Association of University Programs in Health Administration, we provide our students with a solid business foundation as it relates to the field of health care so they can go on to succeed in a wide range of organizations. Including integrated health care systems, retirement and long term care facilities, physicians’ practices, community health organizations and more.
For those with their associates degree, active certification, registration or license, we offer completion programs with the potential to qualify for academic credit so you can continue your education without putting your life and career on hold.
Which class should I take? When should I take it?
See our Recommended Program Sequences:
- Health Services Administration, BS (web)
- Health Services Administration, BS (pdf)
- Specialty: Health Information Assurance (web)
- Specialty: Health Information Assurance (pdf)
- Specialty: Human Resource Management (web)
- Specialty: Human Resource Management (pdf)
- Specialty: Project Management (web)
- Specialty: Project Management (pdf)
Foundations of Excellence
|SOSC201||Diversity in Society||3.0|
|STAT219||Introduction to Biostatistics||3.0|
|BIOL120 or SCI||Essentials of Anatomy and Physiology or Natural Science Elective*||3-4|
|BIOL131 or SCI||Introduction to Human Disease or Natural Science Elective*||3|
Foundations of Health Professions
|HINT201||Health Information Technology||3.0|
|HLTH230||Health Care Law and Ethics||3.0|
|ACCT200||Accounting Basics for Managers||3.0|
|HLTH210||Health Care Orgnztns & Systems||3.0|
|HLTH101M||Intro to Health Careers||.0|
|HLTH250||Heatlhcare Reimbursement Mgmt||3.0|
|BITS211||Heatlhcare Reimbursement Mgmt||3.0|
|HSAD493 or HSAD495||Health Services Administration Online Practicum or Health Services Administration Practicum||4|
|HLTH320||Public Health Perspectives||3.0|
|HINT209||Quality/Perf Improve Hlth Care||3.0|
|HSAD402||Health Care Risk Management||3.0|
|HSAD302||Regulatory Health Care||3.0|
|HSAD301||Cultural Issues in Health Care||3.0|
|HRMG213||Human Resource Management||3.0|
|HSAD403||Health Care Economics||3.0|
|HLTH460||Health Promotion & Education||3.0|
|FINC403||Health Care Finance||3.0|
|HSAD440||Health Care Strategic Planning||3.0|
|HLTH401||Health Care Research||3.0|
Recommended Open Electives
|HLTH100*||Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation/First Aid||1|
|HLTH202||Death and Dying||3.0|
|SABR381||Study Abroad Experience||3.0|
|PSYC270||Dimensions Of Aging||3.0|
|PSYC303||Psychosocial Health Concerns||3.0|
|HSAD490||Health Services Admin Intrnshp||3.0|
Health Care Specialty courses [HS] comprising the major area of the earned health care related associate's degree or select one of the following Specialties:
Human Resource Management Specialty [HHRS]
|MGMT316||Innovation & Managing Change||3.0|
|HRMG350||Training for Organizations||3.0|
Health Information Assurance Specialty [HLAS]
|HINT350||Clinical Information Systems||3.0|
|HINT400||Management Information Systems||3.0|
Project Management Specialty [PTMS]
|GPMT287||Principles of Project Mgmt||3.0|
|GPMT385||Project Scheduling with Agile||3.0|
|GPMT400||Project Fincl/Risk Analysis||3.0|
|GPMT446||Project Quality Management||3.0|
- Employment 96%
- Graduate Satisfaction 96%
- Student Satisfaction 6.12 on a scale of 1-7
- #5 Top Online Schools in Health Administration: http://www.collegeaffordabilityguide.org/subjects/health-administration/...
- #9 at TheBestSchools.org as best online degree programs available (of the Top 25 in the nation).
Best Online Bachelor's in Health Services Degree Programs: https://thebestschools.org/rankings/best-online-bachelors-health-services/
#1 from the Best College Affordability https://www.collegeaffordabilityguide.org/subjects/health-administration/online/ in July 2018
Health Services Administration Program Mission Statement
In support of the mission of Davenport University, the mission of the Health Services Administration Bachelor of Science Program is to prepare healthcare providers and individuals with knowledge and competencies to function as managers and administrators in healthcare environments.
The Health Services Administration Program will provide students an environment which:
- Serves students with quality
- Embodies trustworthiness and open communication fostering teamwork
- Demonstrates accountability for incorporating the vision of the program and meeting program goals and responsibilities
- Fosters innovation and creativity to encourage critical thinking
- Encourages respect for all people and embraces diversity
The Program prepares students to:
- Be competent, ethical, and proficient healthcare administrators
- Excel at providing quality services to clients, patients, employees, and the public to achieve productive and enjoyable lives
- Work collaboratively with faculty, students, and the public in developing a rich, rewarding learning-centered environment to promote critical thinking and encourage research.
Program Vision Statement
Consistent with the vision of Davenport University and the College of Health Professions, the vision of the Health Services Administration Program is to be recognized as a leader in health services administration education providing education that prepares its graduates to be ethical, knowledgeable, and competent professionals.
Health Services Administration Program Value Statement
Guiding principles of the Health Services Administration program reflect Davenport University’s values represented through STAIR: Serving students with quality, Trustworthiness, Accountability, Innovation and creativity, Respect for people.
This program requires a 120-hour practicum
The Program Objectives for the Health Services Administration Program are:
- Prepare healthcare professionals who demonstrate knowledge of administrative and managerial theories and practices
- Prepare healthcare professionals who demonstrate the ability to evaluate various issues related to government regulations, public policy and safety, risk management and quality initiatives.
- Prepare healthcare professionals who demonstrate the understanding of human resource management, staff training and development, community program development, and marketing.
IN ORDER TO MEET THE PROGRAM OBJECTIVES, STUDENTS ARE ASSESSED THROUGHOUT THE PROGRAM ON THEIR ABILITIES TO MEET THE FOLLOWING PROGRAM LEARNING OUTCOMES:
- Assess financial and budgetary information utilizing current principles
- Evaluate policies and procedures to determine organizational compliance with accrediting bodies and government laws and regulations.
- Recommend processes and practices related to human resource management and quality performance management.
- Assesses the need to improve healthcare services and access for diverse populations within the community an organization serves.
- Apply legal and ethical principles in healthcare administration.
- Identify managerial functions related to an organization's operations.
Criminal Background Check and Drug Screen Policy:
All students in the Davenport University College of Health Professions (the "COHP") are required to submit to criminal background check and drug screening (collectively, the "Testing") at the time of declaring a major in the COHP. The results of the Testing (the "Results"), which shall remain confidential, shall be used by the COHP to approve or disapprove of a Student for enrollment or continued enrollment in the COHP, and/or eligibility for training programs, clinical or practicum. The Testing shall be completed by registering for the appropriate course and completing the entire testing process in the course. Each student is responsible for acknowledging and explaining positive Result(s) after completing the process. A student will be dismissed from the COHP if he or she refuses to consent to the Testing. The cost of the Testing is the part of the course fee and is the responsibility of the student.
Faculty and Staff
Department Chair and Interim Associate Dean Health Information Management/Allied Health - Linda Sorensen, MPA, RHIA, CHPS
Campus Associate Department Chair/Program Director: Kimberly Corsi, MSA, LRCP, CCS
Associate Department Chair: Marybeth Pieri-Smith, MBA, RHIA, CCSP, CPC, CMA
Faculty: Yvette Pawlowski, M.Ed, RHIA, CHDS
Associate Department Chair: Rebecca Ventura, RN, MSN, RMA
Campus Associate Department Chair: Kimberly Corsi, MSA, LRCP, CCS
Great Lakes Bay
Associate Department Chair: Rebecca Ventura, RN, MSN, RMA
Associate Dean: Dr. Kelly McCarron, Ed.D,OTR/L
Associate Department Chair: Megan Tober, MBA, RHIA
Teaching and Learning Coordinators:
Carly Davidson email@example.com
Dawn Strauss-Berta firstname.lastname@example.org
REGIONAL ACCREDITING BODY:
Higher Learning Commission of the North Central Association of Colleges and Schools
30 N. LaSalle St.
Chicago, IL 60602-2504
Date of Reaccreditation: 2014
Next Accreditation Due: 2021-2022
National Accrediting Body (Full Certification):
The Bachelor of Science Health Services Administration Program is “Full Certified Undergraduate Program” by the Association of University Programs in Health Administration.
Association of University Programs in Health Administration (AUPHA)
1730 M St. NW, Suite 407, Washington, DC 20036
Phone: 202-763-7283 Fax: 202-763-7561