Become a leader in K-12 urban education systems
Master of Education - Urban Education (39-42 credits)
Our alternative route to teacher certification program prepares students for the teaching and problem-solving efforts needed in today's urban education environments. Our strong curriculum emphasizes educational law and cultural intelligence that will provide you with a deep understanding of this unique field and help you to become a better, unbiased teacher.
We’re proud to be the only school in Michigan to offer not just an alternative route to teacher certification and a master of urban education, but an entire college dedicated to the urban education learning environments. If you’re not a certified educator yet, this program will put you on an expedited path for your teacher certification.
We invite you to become the teacher you've always wanted to be.
Which class should I take? When should I take it?
See our Recommended Program Sequences:
|UEDU610||Foundation of Urban Education||3.0|
|UEDU630||Data Analytic, Assess, Measure||3.0|
|UEDU656||Education and the Law||3.0|
|UEDU600||Introduction to Teaching||3.0|
|UEDU682||Family & Comm Partnership Prac||2.0|
|UEDU715||Educational Psych in Urban Ed||2.0|
|UEDU730||Classroom Mgmt Strategies||3.0|
|UEDU742||Implemnt Collg Career Rdy Curr||2.0|
|UEDU756||Differen Instruct Urban Settng||3.0|
|UEDU770||Building Effective Lesson Plan||3.0|
|UEDU786||Using Tech to Enhance Learn||3.0|
|UEDU792||School Improvement Planning||3.0|
Core Methods Courses
Urban Education Elective
Candidates must choose one Core Methods Course sequence:
|UEDU701A/B||Literacy Development and Instruction||3 credits & 3|
|UEDU703A/B||Teaching Integrated Science||3 credits & 3|
- Fill out the Davenport Application for Admissions.
- Candidates must have a bachelor's degree or above with a 3.0 GPA and pass the Michigan Test for Teacher Certification (MTTC) Basic Skills exam as well as a subject area competency exam.
- Two (2) signed professional recommendation forms and one personal recommendation form are required.
- A current resume/CV must be submitted and it should include prior employment experience, educational background, and any organizational affiliations.
- Statement of purpose (refer to the statement of purpose form in the admission packet).
- Participate in an interview with the College of Urban Education (CUE) Admission Committee - to be scheduled by Davenport upon submission of the completed application.